There is a water tank in my loft, can I still convert?
A loft conversion is a valuable way of transforming your property, with the options to add additional rooms as well as important features for a home, such as an extra en suite. If you’re planning to do a loft conversion, it’s important to check your space is eligible first. Many older houses have a water tank, or a traditional hot water cylinder located in the loft, which is used to store and heat water for the household. However, this does not mean you cannot achieve the loft conversion of your dreams.
The simple answer is yes! If your home currently has a water tank in the loft, you are still able to convert the space. Our experienced team at Touchstone Lofts recommend that in most cases, the best option here is to replace the tank water system with a combi boiler.
We recommend replacing the traditional water tank system with a combi boiler for several reasons:
- Space efficiency: Loft conversions typically involve maximising the available space, and traditional water tanks can take up a considerable amount of room in the loft. On the other hand, a combi boiler is a compact unit that is usually wall-mounted, freeing up valuable space for other purposes.
- Simplicity of installation: Installing a combi boiler is generally easier and less time-consuming than working with traditional water tank systems. The combi boiler requires fewer components and connections, which can simplify the installation process and reduce labour costs.
- Hot water on demand: One of the significant advantages of a combi boiler is that it provides hot water on demand. Unlike a traditional water tank system, there is no need to wait for the tank to heat up before getting hot water. This can be particularly beneficial for a loft conversion, where the water tank might be located far from the tap or shower, resulting in longer waiting times for hot water.
- Energy efficiency: Combi boilers are known for their energy efficiency. They heat water directly from the mains when needed, so there’s no need to keep a large volume of water constantly heated as with a traditional water tank. This can lead to reduced energy consumption and lower energy bills over time.
- Water pressure: Combi boilers can provide excellent water pressure, making showers more enjoyable and improving the overall performance of the plumbing system.
- Reduced risk of freezing: Water tanks in lofts can be susceptible to freezing during cold weather, which can lead to burst pipes and water damage. Combi boilers are generally installed inside the house where they are better protected from freezing temperatures, reducing the risk of such issues.
It’s important to note that installing a combi boiler may require adjustments to the existing plumbing and heating systems in the house. Therefore, it’s best to consult with a qualified heating engineer or plumber to assess the feasibility and cost of converting from a traditional water tank system to a combi boiler in your specific loft conversion project.
Fear not! We are a design and build loft conversion company who can take care of everything for you, this includes the plumbing. You will not need to deal with any other trades when you work with us. If you are experiencing issues with your plumbing, such as low water pressure, we will be able to take care of it for you. You can rest assured that building regulations and safety standards are always followed during the installation process to ensure the safety and compliance of the new system. Find out more about how we approach changing boilers and tanks in lofts here.
If you’d like more information about working with a water tank in your loft to create a conversion, our expert team at Touchstone Lofts can offer our knowledge and experience. We design tailored loft spaces for your individual home, ensuring you are able to use your new space for everything you’d hoped. If you’d like to talk to our team, give us a call on 0800 881 8194 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.